Monday, January 10, 2011

Bring on the Cold

Jules and I are sitting down in front of the fire eating crappy pizza while my father has The Barracuda. In a bit I'm going to take my last bath for about 20 days. Apparently, snow and freezing rain are on the horizon for our first night and first two days out.

Hoo-Rah!


We might just have another "New Mexico" on our hands to compare all other coming weather situations to. Jules and my father have already reminded me repeatedly that I can just hunker down in the tent if things get too terrible. They have also thrown in that I can just call them and they will come get us. "There is no reason to be crazy after all," has been thrown about a few times as well.

It's not like Jules got frost bite from hiking in feet of snow after sending his warmest mittens home and a freak storm came in....Ahem....

Or that as a child my father had us backpacking in ragged out aluminum out-board frame backpacks.... and all cotton clothing.... and G.I. Joes cheapo sleeping bags......Ahem......

Or that as a family we have slept in conditions which were just as cold and probably colder....Ahem....

Or that Jules talks fondly of watching entire cliffsides sheer off when he snow climbed Rainer due to freeze-thaw conditions that were so extreme even the guides were caught off guard.....Ahem....

Or that as children we woke up in alpine areas to snow all around and then continued out hiking with my father leading the way....Ahem....

Things apparently change where your are a grandparent and a father :)


The blog should auto update itself over the next two weeks. Most of the posts outline some degree of us getting ready for our venturing out. I'll respond to comments when we get back.

3 thoughts:

babbaapril said...

Camping in the snow was your brother's idea. Parents had to bribe the two of you with promises of pizza to get you both to go home. That's my story...I'm sticking to it. Have a fabulous time you two.

Mr. H. said...

Sounds like a fun and exciting adventure for the prepared, and I know that you are more than prepared. Have a wonderful time and stay warm. Take lot's of pictures.:)

Mel said...

Can't wait to here all about it! Have a great trip.

Post a Comment

Template by:

Free Blog Templates