Saturday, June 16, 2012

Suck It Mohave! - 702 Miles

We have officially cleared all of southern California.  For those of you who do not realize, that means no more desert.  I had an extreme moment of clarity a few days ago, when the thought came to me that if given the opportunity to hike through the desert again, or have another baby, I'd choose the baby.  For anyone who knows our family, that is really saying something!

The Barracuda pulled a 29 mile day to get us into Kennedy Meadows, but the show put on during the sunset was well worth it!


We are currently in Kennedy Meadows - 702 miles.  It is the gateway to the Sierras and quite the milestone.  As far as I am concerned, we've made it.  We are mountain people.  Cool breezes, serious elevation gains, passes, ridges, those are our kind of hikes.  I have no worry about snow.  I know how to judge the wind.  I know how to keep a tent down on rocky outcroppings.  I'm all over that.  Searing heat, swirling wind from everywhere, complete sand with no rocks, and gale force winds....um no thank you.

As you can see, The Barracuda loves the desert as well
We are about to enter the largest continuous wilderness stretch in the United States.  Needless to say the cell phone/internet coverage is a bit scarce.  We will be checking in as much as possible and posting up pictures when we can.  All in all the John Muir Trail is waiting for us, the Sierras are waiting for us, and the Mohave has been left behind!

Here's to another 700 miles.

5 thoughts:

said...

Great photos. Congrats on breaking 700 miles! I'm just not quite sure about that whole baby instead of the desert comment. I LOVE our little man, but I might send you back into the desert. Haha. See you in 3.5 days!

Anonymous said...

Thank GOD you're out of the desert!!!
Enjoy those hills!

Grampy

Anonymous said...

I have been checking up on you occasionally since you left our home in Wrightwood. I am so relieved that you have made it through that desert! I will be even happier when you have met up with your father and husband. Congrats! Laura

Nathaniel said...

Enjoy the Sierras. You've got a good year! Love the blog. Hoping to leave some trail magic in Washington and/or Oregon when I get back from the Peace Corps in September.

Anonymous said...

I felt the same way as the Barracuda when I came to that spot on the trail. Best wishes from Team Turtle.

Post a Comment